I really love the unique flavor of today’s smoothie combination. It’s a bit unexpected, but I hope you trust me on this one. The one thing I have to admit is that it was a bit of a fail on my two-tone idea. The green layer just disappeared into the pink layer. I am going to try to rework this one when I have some more time and will update the recipe if I can figure out the layering trick! But if you are just looking for a morning smoothie, who cares what is looks like? right?
Are you a big smoothie drinker? I think I always get into phases, where I have them all the time and then not at all. In the morning I typically just have a yogurt instead of making myself a smoothie. (too much too clean up in the morning)
Berry Citrus Green Almond Smoothie
a two in one dairy free smoothie
- 1/4 cup blood orange juice
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 cup frozen cherries
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1/2 cup almond yogurt
- 2 ice cubes
- 2 tbsp almond milk
Blend the first three ingredients in a blender or food processor.
Pour into a jar and set aside.
Rinse out the blender/food processor.
Add the last 5 ingredients to a blender/food processor and blend until smooth. If you need to thin out the smoothie, add more milk.
Pour the thicker color smoothie on the bottom of two glasses. Add the thinner colored smoothie on top.
One note on the almond milk yogurt! I found silk almond milk yogurt at Harris Teeter. I definitely recommend checking the nutrition facts, I saw quite a few with a lot of sugar!
Smoothie pretty much allow for endless possibilities. I typically keep every type of frozen fruit in my freezer for smoothies (and maybe late night fruit crisp cravings). There are plenty of ways to sub this smoothie for a very similar taste!
- Berries : I think any berry works well in this smoothie swap the strawberries and cherries, for any combination of berries, raspberries, blueberries, mixed berries etc.
- Spinach: If you have been reading my blog all month, than you know you can swap in Kale for spinach if you have some on hand.
- Almond yogurt and milk: If you aren’t looking for a dairy-free smoothie replace almond yogurt and milk with greek yogurt and skim milk.
Be sure to follow figsandflour on instagram and tag your recipes with #figsandflour! You can also post a photo of your recipe to the Figs & Flour Facebook page. I would love to see what you are cooking in your kitchen!