I think it goes without saying that this is not how I expected my first Inauguration living in DC would go. Actually its about as far as I could have expected. I truly I wish we all could experience all the hope and excitement an Inauguration has to offer but instead I, like many people I know living in DC plan on hibernating on Friday, and everyone else is leaving town.
My guess is that instead of waking up early to get a spot on the parade route, I’ll be in the kitchen trying to forget what’s happening outside.
If you are coming into DC for the Women’s March on Saturday, Pineapple DC, a community for women in food that seeks to connect the good food movement with the foodie movement to create a better food systems, and Cherry Bombe Magazine have put together some pretty perfect food suggestions! Proud to say I have been to half of the suggestions!
Sweet Potato Beet & Goat Cheese Galette
something sweet, something crunchy, and something creamy all in a flaky whole wheat crust.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, chilled, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup of cold water
- 1 sweet potato
- 3 small beets
- 2 TBSP crumbled goat cheese
– 1/2 cup of flour – 3/4 cup of whole wheat flour
- In a large bowl, add both flours, butter, and greek yogurt. use a fork or a pastry cutter to combine ingredients.
- Add the water to the bowl and continue to combine.
- Place the dough on plastic wrap and wrap tightly, place in refrigerate for an hour or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- After an hour, take out the dough, flour your surface, roll out until 1/2 inch thick.
- Carefully transfer dough to baking sheet.
- Thinly slice the sweet potato and beets.
- Arrange the sweet potato and beets in a circle.
- Fold up the sides of the sides of the dough, pressing the edges together lightly.
- Sprinkle the goat cheese and place rosemary.
- Bake in the over for 35-40 minutes.
- Enjoy warm!