Have you ever had the Spelt Risotto from Trader Joes? It is definitely one of my go to frozen foods at Trader Joes. One package is about 2 servings and has less than 3g of Saturated Fat. You have to be careful in the frozen food section at Trader Joes, I’m looking at you Barbecue Chicken Pizza. I would like to meet someone who can only eat 1/3 of that tiny pizza rather than the 15 g of saturated fat that makes up the entire thing.
Even though the frozen version is convenient, it’s honestly just as easy to make it yourself. This is another recipe you can make once and it keeps all week. So all it takes is an extra 15-20 minutes on Sunday to have the same (and in many ways healthier, especially sodium wise) recipe.
Broccoli Zucchini Chickpea Farro Risotto
copycat of Trader Joes Spelt Risotto
– 1 cup of farro – 2 cups of water – 2 tsp of olive oil – 1 cup of broccoli florets (small) – 1 cup of zucchini (chopped) – 1/2 cup carrots – 1 cup of chickpeas – 3 oz cheese, shredded (I used a cheddar/Gruyere mixture)
- Add the farro to a pot with 2 cups of water. Cook on medium until all the water evaporates and the farro is tender about 8-10 minutes.
- In a large skillet on medium heat, add the olive oil and broccoli to the pan. Cook for about 3 minutes before adding in the zucchini and carrots, then cook for another 5 minutes.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas.
- Using a cheese grater, grate 3 oz of cheese.
- In the pot of farro, add the vegetables, chickpeas and cheese. Cook for 203 minutes on medium heat until all the ingredients are incorporated.
- Enjoy warm!
This is another great recipe to make ahead and eat during the week. I liked to add a pinch of fresh cheese after I heat it up in the microwave.