There are so many great desserts for Thanksgiving, it’s really impossible to choose just one. However, this week, I didn’t really have time to go all out, so I decided to combine two thanksgiving classics, apples and cranberries.
This pie is the perfect pie to make if you are short on time. Pies can be a daunting undertaking and on Thanksgiving when you have so many things to cook, you might not have the time to make a pie from scratch. So every once in a while its okay to cut corners. And I think store-bought pie crusts works just fine in this recipe.
Apple Cranberry Pie
An easy pie that doesn't have to take all day.
– 1 pie crust (I used a store bought crust) You will need part of a second crust if you want to make leaves. – 4 apples – 1/3 cup of fresh cranberries – 1/2 cup of unsalted butter – 3 TBSP whole wheat flour – 1/2 a cup of water – 1/2 cup of white sugar – 1/2 cup of brown sugar – 1/2 tsp cinnamon – 1 tsp vanilla – optional: vanilla ice cream (but ice cream is never optional in my book)
- Defrost pie crust according to instructions.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wash apples, slice in half, remove core, thinly slice length wise. (if you have an apple corer, use it to core the apples. I really like apple skin so I left it on.
- Grease a large skillet and lay the pie crust.
- Place the bundles of sliced apples into the pie, fitting as many bundles as you can.
- In a medium sauce pan, melt the butter.
- Add the water, flour, both sugars, cinnamon and vanilla. Mix until well incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into the pie.
- Add cranberries to the pie in all the gaps left from the apples.
- If you want to make leaves. Cut leaves from a second piece of pie crust. Add to the edges of the pie.
- Cook for 50-55 minutes.
- Enjoy warm a la mode!
What are you making for dessert this Thanksgiving?
Store bought pie crusts, yay or nay?
Be sure to follow figsandflour on instagram and tag your recipes with#figsandflour! You can also follow the Figs & Flour Facebook page. I would love to see what you are cooking in your kitchen!
1 thought on “Apple Cranberry Pie”
Such a pretty pie! Love the leaves 🙂