I don’t often eat pasta at home, so when I do it has to be amazing. In fact, I have only shared 2 other pasta recipes so far. One of the reasons I try to stay away from pasta, especially white pasta is the fact that pasta lacks dietary fiber and therefore it doesn’t keep you full. The other reason is the fact that I hate tomato sauce. So this recipe solves problem 2, pumpkin, in my opinion is a much better substitute for tomatoes in my opinion.
Gnocchi with Pumpkin Sauce
a healthy sauce to pair with pastas
- 1 TBSP unsalted butter – 2 gloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 TBSP soy milk – 1 1/2 cups gnocchi
- 2 cups water
- 2 TBSP Parmesan (optional)
- a couple sprigs of sage
- 1 tsp of olive oil
- In a medium pot, add the butter, and garlic, let it sweat for a few minutes.
- Add the pumpkin puree and vegetable broth to the pot. Stir the mixture as it thickens.
- Add the soy milk and continue to stir until the mixture becomes a thick sauce.
- In a second pot, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add the gnocchi and let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
- When the gnocchi is cooked, add the gnocchi to the pot with the pumpkin sauce.
- In a small sauce pan, heat the olive oil and sage until it becomes crispy.
- To serve, pour the gnocchi into two bowls. Chop up the sage and sprinkle on top. Add Parmesan if you wish.
This sauce is so delicious, I am definitely going to make it with spaghetti squash. Also, butternut squash can easily be replaced for pumpkin if you so wish.
Be sure to follow figsandflour on instagram and tag your recipes with#figsandflour! You can also follow the Figs & Flour Facebook page. I would love to see what you are cooking in your kitchen!