Have you ever had a dutch baby? I have seen them all over instagram but never had one before until now. Once you make one of these, I promise you will never look at pancakes the same way again. They are that good.
I usually do not like too much syrup on my pancakes. But in pursuit of the perfect picture, I had to keep pouring syrup and powdered sugar hoping to get the perfect shot. However, I think you really need a tripod to capture those types of shots. Next on my list.
Apple Dutch Baby
better than pancakes
- 1/4 cup of AP flour
- 1/4 cup of Vanilla Soy Milk
- 1 egg
- 1 TBSP sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla – pinch of salt – 1 TBSP butter – 1 TBSP apple butter – 1/4 cup chopped apple
- powdered sugar & syrup (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 475 degrees.
- Put an oven safe 8-9 inch skillet in the oven.
- When the oven is heated reduce to 425 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, milk, egg, sugar, vanilla and salt. Use a whisk to mix until the batter is well combined.
- Let the batter rest for 20 minutes.
- Add the butter to the hot pan and let it melt and cover the pan.
- Pour the batter in the pan and place the pan in the oven.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes.
- The dutch baby will puff up in the oven but quickly deflate when you take it out-that’s okay.
- Transfer the pancake to a plate and top the pancake with apple butter, chopped apples, powdered sugar and syrup.