I won’t settle for just any burger… if I am gonna eat a burger it’s got to be special. This turkey burger is certainly special with chopped apples and cheddar cheese stuffed into the burger itself. And to really put it over the top I made some red onion jam (featured here for the first time).
Remember healthy eating is all about balance, so I paired this burger with butter lettuce wrap instead of buns. Buns aren’t out of the equation for me, I am a fan of carbs too (maybe not as much as Oprah loves bread) but I still eat plenty of it. But today I went for a “healthier” alternative.
These burgers would be perfect for game day served with sweet potato fries. But for me, Sunday without the patriots is no game day at all 🙁
Turkey Apple Cheddar Burgers with Onion Jam
Turkey burgers stuffed with apple and cheddar cubes
- Cooking Spray
- 8-10 oz of ground white meat turkey
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- 2- 3 oz of cheddar, 1 oz cubed and 2 slices
- 1/4 apple chopped
- 1/4 cup onion jam
- 4 leaves of butter lettuce
- Spray cooking spray on a grill pan.
- Make the onion jam (see the recipe for butternut squash pizza)
- Pull the rosemary off the stem.
- Form 2 patties with rosemary, cheddar and apples into the patty.
- Grill the patties for 6-10 minutes until done.
- On a plate, place one lettuce leaf, the burger, cheddar, and onion jam. Top with the other piece of lettuce. Enjoy immediately.
Be sure to follow figsandflour on instagram and tag your recipes with#figsandflour! You can also post a photo of your recipe to the Figs & Flour Facebook page. I would love to see what you are cooking in your kitchen!