I have another messy sandwich for you this week. A couple weeks ago I shared this Apricot Blackberry Grilled Cheese and told you that I made a mess. Today’s sandwich is no exception.
I have been eating this sandwich combination for a few years. I found a grilled veggie sandwich like this one on a menu but with the addition of roasted red peppers. But as you have learned…surprise surprise… I hate roasted red peppers (and all peppers tbh). So like many of my recipes, I went home and creating a version to meet my taste specifications. And personally i think it’s even better without red peppers, but i guess i wouldn’t really know 😉
Zucchini Veggie Sandwich
Basil Sunflower Seed Pesto and fresh mozzarella bring these veggies to the next level
- 8-10 small/medium basil leaves
- 1 TBSP sunflower seeds
- 1 TBSP Parmesan cheese
- 1 TBSP Olive oil, a little more if necessary
- 2 slices of sourdough
- Cooking Spray
- half a zucchini, cut in 4 strips lengthwise
- half a summer squash, cut in 4 strips lengthwise
- portabello mushroom caps, just two large strips
- 1 oz of fresh mozzarella
- Make the pesto: Add the basil, sunflower seeds, Parmesan, and olive oil into a small food processor/blend.
- Pulse/blend until fairly smooth. The pesto will likely still have some small pieces.
- Toast the sourdough bread on a low setting.
- Spray a medium/large pan with cooking spray.
- Add the mushrooms, zucchini, and summer squash.
- Cook for 5-8 minutes.
- Re-spray the pan. Add the bread to the pan.
- Spread the pesto on both pieces and add the fresh mozzarella.
- After 1-2 minutes, add the cooked veggies to the side with the cheese.
- Add the top slice of bread to the sandwich. Press down with a spatula.
- After 5 minutes, remove the sandwich from the pan.
- Enjoy warm. The sandwich is best served right away.
(this is what happens when you try to balance sandwiches)
Be sure to follow figsandflour on instagram and tag your recipes with#figsandflour! You can also post a photo of your recipe to the Figs & Flour Facebook page. I would love to see what you are cooking in your kitchen!
1 thought on “Zucchini Veggie Sandwich”